1. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and powdered sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined, then beat in the vanilla extract.
2. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. With the mixer running, slowly beat in the flour mixture just until combined, being careful not to overmix. Remove the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough until well-chilled, at least 1 hour.
1 cup (4 ounces) chopped toasted pecans
1/2 cup (4 ounces) light brown sugar
1/4 cup (½ stick) butter, melted
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Shortly before assembling the cookies, prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon, mixing until well-combined.
Cookies and glaze
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup (4 ounces) powdered sugar, sifted
1 vanilla bean, scraped
Zest of ½ orange, optional
3 tablespoons milk
1. Flour a cutting board or work surface. Turn the dough out on to the work surface and, using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 10-by-10-inch square.
2. Spread the filling gently but evenly over the dough.
3. Gently roll the dough into a tight log. Wrap the log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least one hour, preferably overnight.
4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Prepare the glaze: In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, whisk together the cream cheese and butter. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar, then the vanilla bean and orange zest (if using). Finally, whisk in the milk until the glaze is smooth and thick.
6. Grease 2 (12-cup) muffin tins. Remove the dough log from the refrigerator and cut the log into half-inch-thick slices. Place each slice in a greased muffin cup.
7. Bake the cookies until the tops are slightly browned, about 15 minutes, rotating halfway for even baking.
8. Remove the cookies and cool, still in the muffin tins, on a rack. Using a fork, generously drizzle the glaze over the baked cookies before serving.
Each of 24 cookies: 311 calories; 3 grams protein; 41 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 15 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 54 mg cholesterol; 27 grams sugar; 119 mg sodium.