1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the quinoa until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well, fluff on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside to cool.
2. In a sauté pan heated over medium-high heat until hot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the garbanzo beans, sprinkling over the ground cumin and a pinch of kosher salt. Sauté until the beans are lightly colored and aromatic. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, toss the quinoa with the garbanzos, kale, celery, currants, piquillo peppers, green onions, parsley and lemon zest with quinoa.
4. To make the dressing, whisk together the remaining one-half cup olive oil, red wine vinegar and the juice from the zested lemon, three-fourths teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste, and black pepper.
5. Add the dressing to the salad, a few tablespoons at a time, tossing to coat. You may not use all of the dressing. Taste and season if desired. This makes about 5½ cups salad.
EACH OF 6 SERVINGS
Protein 8 grams
Carbohydrates 36 grams
Fiber 5 grams
Fat 26 grams
Saturated fat 3 grams
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sugar 8 grams
Sodium 291 mg
NOTE: Adapted from Gayle's Bakery & Rosticcera.
Artichoke and sun-dried tomato frittata
About 1 hour, plus cooling time. Serves 12
3 cups drained, coarsely chopped canned artichoke hearts (canned in water)
1 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes