Culinary SOS: Mount Zion Hotel's hot cheesecake
Chef Moti Yosef's version is crustless and not too sweet.
Cheesecake adapted from a recipe from Mount Zion Hotel in Israel. Recipe (Bob Chamberlin / Los Angeles Times / September 20, 2011)
Dear Nadine: A crustless cheesecake, Mount Zion's version of this classic is rich, lightly tart and not too sweet, with a light hint of orange. The cake is delicious served either warm or cold.
Total time: 1½ hours, plus cooling time
Servings: 12 to 16
Note: Adapted from chef Moti Yosef at Mount Zion Hotel in Jerusalem.
2 pounds, 3 ounces low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
4 ounces crème fraîche
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup (4 ounces) corn flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) sugar
Zest of 1/2 orange
1 scant teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees, and bring a pot of water to a simmer (water will be used to create a hot water bath).
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese, crème fraîche and heavy cream. With the mixer running, slowly add the corn flour until thoroughly combined and there are no lumps.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until thoroughly incorporated. Beat in the sugar, orange zest and vanilla until fully combined.
4. Grease a 9-inch springform pan generously with butter, and line the outside of the pan with foil (to keep the hot water from seeping in as the cheesecake bakes). Ladle the mixture into the prepared pan. Place the pan in a roasting pan and place in the center of the oven. Gently pour the hot water into the roasting pan to come up the side of the springform pan by three-fourths.
5. Bake the cheesecake for 25 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 300 and continue baking until the cheesecake is set up (it should not jiggle when tapped), 30 to 40 minutes.
6. Remove the springform pan from the water bath and gently peel away the foil. Cool the cake slightly, then serve either warm or cold.
Each of 16 servings: 264 calories; 6 grams protein; 27 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 15 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 82 mg cholesterol; 18 grams sugar; 314 mg sodium.