1. For the chicken, whisk the vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, pepper and sage together in a bowl. Continue whisking while slowly pouring in the olive oil. Add chicken to a large zip-close plastic bag; pour in the marinade. Seal; refrigerate overnight.
2. For the vegetables, chop the peppers and onion into bite-size pieces. Add to a large zip-close plastic bag along with the sweet potatoes. Whisk the vinegar, salt, mustard and pepper together in a bowl. Continue whisking while drizzling in the olive oil. Pour over the vegetables. Seal; refrigerate overnight.
3. The next day, assemble the kebabs at home. (Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before using.) Alternate pieces of chicken, vegetables and sweet potatoes on 12 skewers. (Discard marinade.) Transfer the skewers in covered containers to your tailgate event.
4. Grill over medium-high heat, turning once, until the vegetables are softened and the chicken is cooked, 12-15 minutes.
Per serving: 156 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 42 mg cholesterol, 13 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 87 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.
Poblano stuffed with chorizo, shrimp and rice
Prep: 1 hour
Cook: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 large peppers or about 50 small peppers
Notes: Adapted from a recipe from Guy Fieri's show "Guy's Big Bite" on the Food Network. We used mini sweet peppers, yielding appetizer-size bites for a crowd. Also, Fieri calls for lopping off the tops to stuff the peppers. We slit them along one side for easier stuffing and grilling.
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 pound Mexican-style chorizo, casings removed
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 red onion, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 cup short-grain rice
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup each: white wine, water
12 large poblano chili peppers or about 50 small sweet peppers
1 pound cooked shelled shrimp, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup each, shredded: cheddar, Jack cheese
1. Heat oil and chorizo in a saucepan over medium-high heat; cook, 3 minutes. Add chopped peppers, jalapeno, onion and garlic; cook until softened. Add rice; cook, stirring to coat the rice with oil. Stir in the chicken stock, wine and water; heat to a boil. Cover; reduce heat. Simmer, 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place poblanos on a rimmed baking sheet; bake in 400 degree oven, 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Once cool, cut top off of the peppers or slit them down one side; remove ribs and seeds.
3. When rice is done, fluff with a fork; stir in shrimp. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if needed. Stuff chilies with the rice mixture. Pack in covered containers.
4. On site, sprinkle exposed stuffing with the cheeses. Grill peppers over medium heat until heated through and cheese melts.
Per serving (for 12 servings): 156 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 42 mg cholesterol, 13 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 87 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.