3/4 cup each: white vinegar, water
1 teaspoon salt
9 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound boneless pork loin, cut in small cubes
1. Place chilies, cloves, vinegar, water, salt, cumin and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat; simmer until chilies are very soft, about 15 minutes. Pour mixture carefully into a blender container. Add garlic; puree.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Add blended mixture; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Place pork cubes in a non-reactive bowl. Pour blended marinade over meat. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove meat from marinade. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pork in batches; cook over low heat until cooked through, about 15 minutes per batch. Place in a serving bowl.
Pork stew (guisado) for burritos:
1. Prepare the chili puree as indicated.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
3. Add pork; brown, stirring, about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer pork to a plate; set aside. Add chili mixture to pan; reduce heat to simmer.
5. Cook 10 minutes.
6. Add pork cubes and 1/2 cup water.
7. Cover; simmer 2 1/2-3 hours, adding water as needed to prevent sticking.
8. Transfer meat to a serving bowl. Reserve excess sauce up to 2 days in refrigerator or 1 month in freezer; use with grilled meats or tacos.
Per serving: calories, % of calories from fat, g fat, g saturated fat, mg cholesterol, g carbohydrates, g protein, mg sodium, g fiber.