Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez is slated to stand trial in the Odin Lloyd murder case in January 2015.
At a hearing Tuesday, Fall River Superior Court Judge E. Susan Garsh set a date of Jan. 9 for jury selection to begin, scheduling the trial for 19 months after Hernandez was accused in Lloyd's June 2013 execution-style shooting death.
The victim was a friend of Hernandez, and was dating the sister of the former Patriot tight end's fiancée. His bullet-ridden body was found in a park blocks from Hernandez's home in North Attleboro, Mass. Two other Bristol men, Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, also face murder charges in shooting.
The former Patriot tight end was released from the team shortly after he was arrested for murder, and has been held without bail in Mass. for over a year. Recently, he was moved to a different jail where he could be closer to his Boston-based defense attorneys. He faces two more murder counts in a 2012 double slaying in Boston that occurred weeks before he reported for preseason camp with the Patriots.
The Patriots have provided more than 300 pages of records from Hernandez's employment file to defense attorneys, and have turned over to investigators text messages between Belichick and the former NFL star. Defense attorneys and lawyers for the Patriots were bickering over whether the team should be forced to produce scouting records and an NFL combine report from 2010, but Fee said at the hearing Tuesday that the dispute had been "resolved."
Hernandez's lawyers also said they intend filing a motion asking for a change of venue for the trial, and plan to do so by the end of September.