Members of Mount Vernon United Methodist Church participated in the Spring Clean-up Day at the James City Chapel Cemetery in Norge. The James City Chapel was built on the cemetery site in 1791, and was moved to Toano in 1885 to become the new Mount Vernon Methodist Episcopal Church. The chapel building is still being used today as the main part of Mount Vernon's sanctuary, 226 years after it was originally built as a Methodist chapel. The oldest grave dates to 1843, the infant son of a leader of the chapel.
This item was posted by a community contributor.