The International Day of Peace was established in 1981 by the United Nations. This is a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples. The theme of this year's commemoration is "Partnerships for Peace - Dignity for All" which aims to highlight the importance of all segments of society to work together to strive for peace. This year's Day of Peace occurs on September 21.
Williamsburg Landing is observing this year's event in the following ways:
• Providing message boards for residents and staff to write their responses to the statement: "What Peace Means To Me."
• Special meals celebrating the culture of nations from around the world.
• Special yoga & meditation sessions at the Health Club & Spa.
• Showing a peace-themed movie.
• Highlighting the many countries of origin represented by staff.
Steve Montgomery, CEO and President, states, "Observing the Day of Peace is consistent with our Vision Statement which is devoted to celebrating excellence, valuing diversity, pursuing innovation, and caring for each other. Peace is both a state of mind and a way of living and acting toward one another. We recognize as a worthy goal the pursuit of peace among all people. We hope to make a small contribution toward that goal by this observance."
This item was posted by a community contributor.