Pictures -- "Civil War Williamsburg liberated -- then shelled"
Williamsburg's residents were jubilant when the gray-clad men of Wise's Legion swept a smattering of Union occupiers from the streets on the morning of April 11, 1863. But when the guns at nearby Fort Magruder responded with a half-day-long barrage, the people who had stayed so long to protect their homes began to have second thoughts. -- Mark St. John Erickson
Image 1 of 7
Duke of Gloucester Street
Looking west down Duke of Gloucester Street, this circa 1890 photograph shows the main street in the town of Williamsburg much as it looked during its occupation by Union troops during the Civil War. The Prentis Store and the Ludwell Paradise house appear on the right and the steeple of Bruton Parish Church and the cupola of the Courthouse appear in the distance, marking the western-most range of the Union shells that responded to an April 11, 1863 Confederate raid.