Pictures -- Probing a Williamsburg lot for signs of a pioneering black school
Archaeologists from Colonial Williamsburg and the College of William and Mary probed two sections of the yard surrounding Brown Hall for evidence of a 1700s structure that housed the pioneering Bray School for black children.
Image 1 of 10
The Bray School house
This undated photo shows the Dudley Digges house on its original site at the corner of Prince George and Boundary streets in Williamsburg. It served as the site of the pioneering Bray School for black children beginning in 1760 and was moved to a nearby site in 1930.