Colonial Williamsburg beat such places as the Virginia Creeper Trail, Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest and Natural Bridge State Park in being named the top Virginia attraction by USA Today.
“The USA Today honor is a great accolade for Colonial Williamsburg and is good for the city and the destination,” said Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance president Karen Riordan. “Anytime you receive a number one designation, people will take note, and hopefully, this will spur interest from new visitors and renew interest from long-term fans of Colonial Williamsburg.”
The publication said it assembled a panel of travel experts to narrow the list down to 20 attractions, and then let its readers vote on their top 10.
Citing Colonial Williamsburg, USA Today said “a visit to this unique living-history museum is like stepping back in time” and a “destination like nowhere else.”
“Third-party accolades like the USA Today 10 Best are one of the best things that we can leverage when we’re promoting any of our partner attractions like Colonial Williamsburg or the destination as a whole,” said chamber director of destination campaign marketing Corrina Ferguson. “We absolutely love finding out new awards and accolades and mentions like that, and we will definitely leverage that as we push the message out about what a great place it is to come vacation.”
The top 10 Best Virginia Attractions, as voted on by USA Today readers, are:
- Colonial Williamsburg - Williamsburg
- Virginia Creeper Trail - Abingdon
- Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest
- Natural Bridge State Park - Natural Bridge
- Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge - Chincoteague Island
- Grayson Highlands State Park - Mouth of Wilson
- Appomattox Court House National Historical Park - Appomattox
- Thomas Jefferson's Monticello - Charlottesville
- George Washington's Mount Vernon - Mount Vernon
- Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington