Official: Fire damages Chickahominy Road home, no one injured

Jimmy LaRoue
Contact Reporterjlarouejr@vagazette.com

A fire late Wednesday afternoon damaged a Chickahominy Road home but no one was injured, according to James City County Fire Department battalion chief Al Catlett.

The fire began around 4:40 p.m. in the 3200 block of Chickahominy Road with fire crews arriving to find heavy smoke and fire in the home, Catlett said in a fire department news release.

A man told fire officials that he had been cooking and fell asleep, waking up to a fire in the kitchen and then getting out of the house, Catlett said. The family’s dog was trapped in the fire, but firefighters were able to rescue the dog and it is in good condition, Catlett said.

The home sustained heavy damage, and the American Red Cross is assisting the three people who live in the home, Catlett said. The fire marshal determined the fire to be accidental in nature and caused by unattended cooking, Catlett said.

Fire crews from James City-Bruton Fire, James City County and York County Department of Fire and Life Rescue responded, Catlett said.

LaRoue can be reached by phone at 757-345-2342, by email at jlarouejr@vagazette.com or on Twitter @jlaroue.

Copyright © 2018, The Virginia Gazette
64°