Newport News man to serve 30 years for gang activity, including shooting at James City home

A Newport News man was sentenced Friday in federal court to 30 years in prison for engaging in gang activity, including shooting into a Williamsburg home, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Marcellus Williams, 27, pleaded guilty in April to charges of racketeering conspiracy and possessing and discharging a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence, the release indicates. It states he was sentenced Friday by U.S. District Judge Arenda Wright Allen. Williams is also known as "Math," "P-Shooter" and "Manny."

Williams was a "First Superior" with the Black P-Stones, a violent street gang operating primarily in the Beechmont, Woodview and Courthouse Green neighborhoods in the Denbigh area of Newport News, according to the release, which cited a statement of facts from Williams plea agreement. It notes that in his role as a First Superior, "Williams directed and participated in the gang's criminal activities, including robberies, attempted murder and marijuana sales."

The release states Williams was accused in three shootings in just over a 10-month period in 2008-09.

In April 2008, Williams and other Black P-Stones members targeted a rival gang member in broad daylight on Warwick Boulevard in Newport News, the document indicates. The rival was shot twice, suffering injuries to his mouth, neck and shoulder.

Eight months later Williams and other gang members fired up to eight bullets into a rival gang member's home in Williamsburg while two people were inside, according to the release. It states the incident was retaliation against a rival who disrespected Williams's girlfriend.

The release notes that the following March, Williams and members of the Black P-Stones shot into another rival gang member's home, nearly striking one occupant. The incident was retaliation for a previous altercation, according to the document.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Safe Streets Peninsula Task Force led the investigation and was assisted by Newport News and James City police and the Virginia State Police.