By Dave Fairbank, email@example.com | 757-247-4637
4:45 PM EST, January 10, 2013
Longtime William and Mary offensive coordinator Zbig Kepa resigned after nearly three decades with the program, according to an athletic department release Thursday.
Kepa's departure comes in the wake of a 2-9 season, the Tribe's worst record since head coach Jimmye Laycock's first year (1980), and on the heels of back-to-back sub-par offensive seasons.
Neither Laycock nor Kepa could be reached for comment, but the athletic department release said that Kepa resigned "to pursue other career opportunities."
Laycock released a statement that said: "Zbig Kepa has been a significant part of our success as a program for a long time. I have a great deal of respect for Zbig as both a coach and a person and have no doubts that he will prove to be a valuable asset wherever he decides to continue his career."
Kepa has been with the W&M program since 1984 and has served as offensive coordinator for the past 21 years. He coached receivers directly and was integral in offensive game planning and play-calling.
Kepa, an Indiana native, coached nine of the top 10 players in career receiving yards, including Rich Musinski, Dave Conklin and Harry Mehre.
But W&M's offense has trended downward the past two seasons. Laycock said last week that he was evaluating the entire operation and that all components were under scrutiny, the coaching staff included.
Last season, the Tribe was ninth in the CAA in scoring, eighth in pass offense and total offense and ninth in pass efficiency. In 2010, W&M was 10th in scoring, ninth in pass and total offense and 10th in pass efficiency.
William and Mary has logged back-to-back losing seasons after consecutive playoff appearances in 2009 and '10. Only twice has the Tribe had three consecutive losing seasons under Laycock — from 1980-82 and 2005-07.
Copyright © 2015, Newport News, Va., Daily Press