Aaron Hernandez Admitted Shooting, Suspect Told Police

Search warrant documents released Tuesday detail some of the findings made during a search of Hernandez's home. (Boston Globe via Getty Images)

A Bristol man charged in connection with the Aaron Hernandez murder case told police he didn't see who shot the victim, but that he was told by another man who was present that Hernandez admitted to killing Odin Lloyd.

Carlos Ortiz said he fell asleep in the back of a car in which the men were riding and only awoke when he saw the others get out to go to the bathroom. He said he only heard gunshots.

Ortiz told Massachusetts investigators after his arrest in late June that he couldn't see who fired the shots because it was so dark in the lot of a North Attleborough industrial park early on June 17. Hernandez, the former New England Patriots star and Bristol native, is charged with murder.

Ortiz told police only Hernandez and Ernest Wallace, a second Bristol man who had driven to Massachusetts with Ortiz earlier that evening, returned to the vehicle before they went to Hernandez's home, less than a mile away.

Ortiz said it wasn't until late in the afternoon of next day when Ortiz and Wallace were returning home to Bristol that "Wallace told him that Hernandez admitted to shooting Mr. Lloyd," court records related to Wallace's arrest indicate.

The two men drove to 114 Lake Ave. in Bristol before going their separate ways. The Chrysler 300 they drove back from Massachusetts in was later confiscated by Bristol police. Wallace fled to his parents' home in Florida before turning himself in.

The details of Ortiz's version of events on the night Lloyd was murdered are contained in an affidavit used by Florida police to get a search warrant for the home of Angela Wallace, Ernest Wallace's mother, in Miramar, Fla.

Police were searching for the gun used in the murder as well as the clothes that Wallace may have worn that night. Documents show they did not find a gun in the home, although they confiscated clothes.

Neither Ortiz nor Wallace apparently tried hard to elude police after the murder. Wallace was seen by neighbors swimming in the backyard pool at his mother's Florida home a few days before he turned himself in.

Ortiz was arrested when he showed up for a long-scheduled meeting with his probation officer in Bristol court on June 25. Ortiz agreed to give them a statement.

His account of the shooting, combined with court records released Tuesday, bring the prosecution's case into sharper focus, further establishing connections between Hernandez, his two friends from Bristol also charged in the shooting, and the victim.

But nothing in the 156 pages of documents indicates who the government believes pulled the trigger. The gun used in the slaying has not been found.

The records, including documents that detail the items seized through search warrants executed at Hernandez's Massachusetts home, an apartment he owned and for automobiles he rented, show that police recovered a surveillance video from Fayston Street in Boston, where victim Lloyd lived, showing him getting into a car with Hernandez and his friends at 2:33 a.m on June 17.

A minute earlier, records indicate, Lloyd received the last of five cellphone calls from Ernest Wallace, one of two Bristol men that Hernandez had texted earlier in the night to come up to Massachusetts.

Surveillance video shows the car entering the industrial park, where Lloyd's body was found, sometime after 3 a.m. Lloyd had sent a series of text messages to his sister to tell her he was with Hernandez, whom he referred to as "NFL." Witnesses who worked nearby told investigators they heard gunshots between 3 and 3:30 a.m.

Hernandez, Wallace and the third man, believed to be Carlos Ortiz, are seen getting out of that same car at 3:27 a.m. at Hernandez's house in North Attleborough, less than a mile from where Lloyd's body was discovered the next morning. The three men are seen on camera going into Hernandez's home. At 3:33 a.m. Hernandez is seen on video standing at the entrance to the basement with what appears to be a gun in his hands, according to a search warrant affidavit. Prosecutors at Hernandez's bail hearing said that gun resembles the Glock .45 used in the killing.

Prosecutors released records related to eight search warrants on Tuesday, including one for the contents of Hernandez's old locker at Gillette Stadium. Police also searched the North Attleborough home several times, an apartment in Franklin rented by Hernandez, several cars and the phones of Hernandez and Lloyd.

Hernandez has been charged with murder and also faces numerous gun charges. Wallace is charged with accessory after the fact to murder and Ortiz is charged with illegal possession of a firearm. Ortiz appeared in court Tuesday for a hearing on whether he is a danger to society and was ordered held without bail until a hearing on Aug. 14.

Hernandez has been held without bail since his arrest on June 26. His next court appearance is scheduled for July 24 for a probable cause hearing on the murder charges. Bristol County District Attorney Samuel Shutter had originally asked that all of the search warrants be sealed but a judge ruled this week that they should be made public.

The 156 pages offer new details into the investigation and the police search for the gun.