American Red Cross

Two people, two dogs, displaced after James City house fire

Two people, two dogs, displaced after James City house fire

A man attempted to take a lit kerosene heater through his kitchen Wednesday evening when kerosene spilled out and caught fire, according to James City County Battalion Chief Alton Catlett.

About 6:45 p.m., the man was taking the heater outside when the gas tank was dislodged as he carried it through the kitchen, Catlett said. Since the heater was lit at the time, the kerosene that spilled out also caught fire.

The man, another person and two dogs got out of the home on Old Field Road in James City County and called emergency crews, Catlett said. No one was injured.

“Of course they ran out the door, which was the right thing to do,” Catlett said....

37°