Fires

Fire damages home of former JCC volunteer fire department president

Fire damages home of former JCC volunteer fire department president

Early Saturday morning, James City County volunteer firefighters responded to a Richmond Road house fire. 

About 3 a.m., Edith Stewart smelled smoke, found a fire blazing in her utility room and called 911, according to a James City County news release. 

By the time crews arrived, the fire had spread to the kitchen. While putting out the blaze, firefighters found a dog inside, which will be fine, the release stated.

No one was injured in the fire, the release stated. 

Stewart has a special connection to the department that responded Saturday morning, the release stated.

Her husband Richard Stewart was the president of the...

77°