Ecuador's President Lenin Moreno on Friday confirmed that three press workers kidnapped along the conflictive border with Colombia had been killed, opening the door to a military strike against their captors.
Moreno spoke after a 12-hour deadline ended with the captors failing to demonstrate the hostages were still alive. It's still not clear how they died but Moreno denied the hostage takers' unsubstantiated claims it was the result of a stealth military operation.
"Despite our best efforts, we've confirmed that these criminals never had the intention of handing them back safe and sound," Moreno said.
He said elite troops would soon be deployed to the...