Terry McAuliffe

Historic Triangle remains right-leaning region in statewide races

Historic Triangle remains right-leaning region in statewide races

Despite losing the state’s gubernatorial seat Tuesday to Democrat Ralph Northam, Ed Gillespie found he has friends in the Historic Triangle.

Statewide, Northam defeated Gillespie; Democrat Justin Fairfax beat Republican Jill Vogel for lieutenant governor, and Democrat Mark Herring won a second term for attorney general over Republican John Adams, according to unofficial results from the state Department of Elections.

Republicans running for statewide office fared much better with local voters on Tuesday.

About 90 percent of registered voters in the Historic Triangle live in the GOP strongholds of James City and York counties, while the remaining 10 percent live in...

39°