Revolutions

Reviving a Revolutionary War landmark

Reviving a Revolutionary War landmark

After the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, the most important sound in Williamsburg was no longer the urgent voices in the Capitol debating Virginia's future.

Instead it was the ringing of hammers and rattling of tin at the newly constructed Public Armoury, where hordes of blacksmiths, wheelwrights, tinsmiths and armorers toiled to give the rebellious ideals of Jefferson, Henry and Madison some badly needed military muscle.

Not until the opening of a $5 million recreation in 2012, however, was Colonial Williamsburg able to present this Revolutionary War landmark in a way that matched its 18th-century importance.

And not...

45°