Photography & Video

Look Back: Colonial Williamsburg Pillory

When the stocks and pillory were first reconstructed by Colonial Williamsburg in 1936, the Public Gaol was chosen as the most likely location since debtors and common criminials were imprisoned there. In 1984 CW historians learned that the stocks and pillory had been placed in the wrong location and moved them to a more accurate location, near the Courthouse of 1770 along Duke of Gloucester Street.

Copyright © 2016, The Virginia Gazette
66°