Mixed greens soup
Total time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Note: From Donna Deane
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped leeks, white part only
1 clove garlic minced
8 cups chicken broth
1 medium potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cups chopped kale
4 cups chopped mustard greens
4 cups chopped collard greens
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white
Lemon slices, cut into quarters
1. Heat the oil in a medium to large (at least 4-quart) stock pot over medium heat and cook the carrots and leeks until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute an additional minute until fragrant but not browned.
2. Add the chicken broth, potato cubes and the chopped kale, mustard and collard greens; stir.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover partially and simmer 1 hour. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or in a blender or food processor until smooth.
4. Return the soup to the heat and simmer, uncovered, until it thickens slightly, about 5 to 10 minutes. Skim off any foam. Stir in the cream, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
5. Season with white pepper. Taste and add salt if desired. Ladle into bowls and garnish each with 3 or 4 small pieces of lemon.
Each serving: 106 calories; 4 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 6 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 14 mg. cholesterol; 284 mg. sodium.