Bruton Parish participated in the Bells of Peace national tolling on Veterans Day, November 11. The armistice centennial event was sponsored by the United States World War One Centennial Commission. A group of Bruton Parish church veterans joined with other sites around the country at 11:00 a.m.and rang the Tarpley Bell 21 times. The bell was given to the church by Williamsburg merchant James Tarpley in 1761 and has rung since it was housed in the tower in 1769.
This item was posted by a community contributor.