The Historic First Baptist Church of Williamsburg has been honored and recognized as being an important part of history. The Historic First Baptist Church of Williamsburg (originally named African Baptist Church), established in 1776 by both free and enslaved blacks, is now listed on both the National and State Registers of History. On Saturday, October 13, 2018 a special program unveiling the State Historic Marker was held at the church. The unveiling program served as the kickoff event to celebrate the Church's 242nd Anniversary.
The Pastor, Rev. Dr. Reginald F. Davis, the Church's Congregation, Ms. Brenda Pogg, Delegate to the 96th District of Virginia, Dr. Colita Fairfax from the State Department of History Resources and Administrator at Norfolk State University, Mr. David Lewis Project Manager at the Center for Archaeological Research at the College of William & Mary, along with several guests attended the unveiling ceremony.
The culmination of the Anniversary celebration included a powerful and spirited message from Colonel James Palmer with instructions on how to keep the church moving forward in history. The instructions had three points: Be Courageous, Maintain a Prayerful Spirit and always Preach Jesus. The Historic First Baptist Church of Williamsburg has built a strong legacy since its establishment in 1776. The desire of its members and supporters is that this legacy will continue to grow with the youth and honor African American history throughout the 21st century, spiritually edify the Hampton Roads communities and the nation for many generations to come. Pleas join us, All are welcome.
This item was posted by a community contributor.