She's older than Sean Connery. She's older than Roger Moore. She's Honor Blackman and she turns 89 today. So to honor the girl who defines the best of the best when it comes to James Bond girls, I've ranked her No. 1 in my list of Bond girls from best to worst. Happy Birthday.
How did I come to such a ranking?
I weighed pop culture longevity, character name recognition and ability to go toe-to-toe with James Bond.
So the more damsely a Bond Girl, the less likely you'll find them near the top.
Ursula Andress for instance may have the pop culture chops for her scene emerging from the ocean playing Honey Ryder in "Dr. No," but she's still more in need of rescue, so she only ranks No. 10. A good name might move you up as well, but even Holly Goodhead and Strawberry Fields didn't crack my Top 10.
The best Bond Girls can take you out. Honor Blackman's character in Goldfinger could take you out. Her character's name alone gave 007 moment to pause. You know the one -- a synonym for clowder of cats.
So she's No. 1.
It's completely scientific inasmuch as pop culture is a science.
But here's the top 10:
1. Honor Blackman playing Pussy Galore in "Goldfinger"
2. Kristina Wayborn playing Magda in "Octopussy"
3. Carole Bouquet playing Melina Havelock in "For Your Eyes Only"
4. Famke Janssen playing Xenia Onatopp in "GoldenEye"
5. Akiko Wakabayashi playing Aki in "You Only Live Twice"
6. Diana Rigg playing Tracy Bond in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
7. Michelle Yeoh playing Wai Lin in "Tomorrow Never Dies"
8. Olga Kurylenko playing Camille Montes in "Quantum of Solace"
9. Claudine Auger playing Domino Derval in "Thunderball"
10. Ursula Andress playing Honey Ryder in "Dr. No"
I'd like to add there were points given for how good their particular Bond movie happened to be, according to me. Keep in mind I'm 40 and was raised on Roger Moore films, so I actually liked "Moonraker." Deal with it.
So who's at the bottom?
It's no holiday for Christmas Jones played by the god-awful Denise Richards in "The World Is Not Enough."
So what do you think? Agree with my ranking? Who's your No. 1?