Grill fire damages townhome building in James City

Staff writer

A grill fire caused significant damage to a James City County townhome building Thursday. While there were no injuries, the fire displaced nine of the building’s residents.

Firefighters responded to a residential structure fire at 4:49 p.m. Thursday in the 5100 block of Greenwich Mews, located within the Mews of Williamsburg subdivision, according to a James City County news release.

The homeowner had called 911 to report a grill fire. By time firefighters arrived, the fire had spread to the rear of the two-story building. It took firefighters almost two hours to bring the blaze under control, the release states.

Two units in the building were damaged by the fire and a third was evacuated due to concerns about electrical wiring. In total, nine people were displaced by the fire, said Kenny Driscoll, James City County fire marshal.

Here are some safety tips for grilling, as provided by the county.

  • Only use a grill outside. Keep your grill at least 3 feet away from siding, deck rails and eaves.
  • Clean your grill after every use.
  • Maintain a 3-foot safety zone around a grill.
  • Place cooled coals inside of a metal can that has a lid.
  • Stay with the grill while it is being used.

Jack Jacobs, 757-298-6007, jojacobs@vagazette.com, @jajacobs_


UPDATES:

3 p.m. June 7: This story was updated with more details about the number of units and occupants affected.

This story was originally published at 9:35 a.m. June 7.

Copyright © 2019, The Virginia Gazette
77°