Editor’s note: This letter was also sent to President Donald Trump.
I am writing to you just after your press conference in Helsinki.
At your inauguration, I was hopeful when you swore your oath to uphold our Constitution and protect our security as a nation. I wanted you to be the president of all the people of our great country.
However, you have greatly disappointed me in failing to address fairly and truthfully the many major issues that require answers and action:
- You are not focused on the primary issue of Russian interference and meddling in our 2016 election. This was the fundamental reason to appoint Mr. Mueller as special investigator. You have failed to act in response to the factual evidence that shows the Russians have attacked our sovereignty. This needs to be stopped, the Russians punished and steps must be taken to protect our elections going forward. You have done none of this. Your frequent claim that there was no collusion with Russia between your campaign and advisors is beside the main point. The response to the attack on our sovereignty must not be overlooked or further delayed.
- On the point of collusion, we will await the findings of Mr. Mueller.
- You have not called out Russia’s annexation of Crimea or the attacks on Ukraine and other European nations.
- You have viciously denigrated the U.S. intelligence agencies, leaders of key U.S. allies and NATO, thus weakening the alliances that have contributed so much to our security. Your subsequent “make nice” statements do not ring true or compensate for your earlier verbal vitriol.
- You have cozied up to cruel dictators who share none of the values we share with our allies. This has benefitted the “bad guys” at great expense to the stature of the U.S.
- Your policies up and down the line have detracted from the support of average citizens and given huge debt-funded largess to the top tier of taxpayers and corporations. This is totally against our value system of fairness and equal opportunity.
With the results of this week’s trip by you to NATO, the U.K. and Helsinki, you have proven that you are not living up to the oath you swore on Inauguration Day, which is cause for great doubts about your ability to continue to serve in the interest of U.S. security and preservation of our Constitution.
I pray that you can hear my concerns and those of millions of others and redirect your efforts to keep America great and a beacon for the rule of law, justice and freedom.
James City County